Saturday, June 29, 2013

Canada Day Celebration!

                              (The beach front at the cottage.)

Monday, July 1st, we celebrate Canada Day here. Shortly, my husband Gem and I, along with my mother and stepfather, will be heading to Sorrento, B.C. to a friend's cottage on Shuswap Lake for the long weekend. It's about an hour's drive from Kamloops, where we live. Temperatures are expected to soar, reaching 36 degrees by Monday!

I have spent the last few days cooking and baking in preparation; a big smoked, glazed ham, German potato salad, red cabbage and apple casserole, broccoli salad, Greek salad, lemon biscuits for the strawberry shortcake which will be dessert on Canada Day, a rub for the ribs, Morning glory muffins and Banana/blueberry muffins, two kinds of homemade salad dressings. The picnic cooler stand in readiness by the door. Lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and sundry other vegetables await in aerated bags. We plan to stop at a fruit stand on the way for peaches and strawberries.  Gem came home from work yesterday with a big bag of fresh B.C. cherries.  Beer and wine were purchased last evening.

                                               (Red cabbage and apple casserole.)

Living here in Canada, I am thankful for so much ....

Thankful for the ebb and flow of the cultural diversity and spiritual traditions which cover Canada like a blessed wave from the ocean to the mountains, to the rainforests, to the tiny prairie towns, to the arctic, to the urban cappuccinos being sipped in dozens of cities.

For the First Nations peoples dancing and singing to the plangent sound of the drums.

For the elegant women wearing jewelled saris.

For the Asian men and women gracefully engaged in Tai Chi by the river’s edge.

Thankful for the voices I hear in English and French and Cantonese and Hindu and Dutch and Ukrainian and Italian and German and Afrikaans and Spanish and  Greek and Norwegian, and for the friends who speak those languages, embrace their ethnic culture, and are also proud of being Canadian.  

Thankful that I understand that grief comes to human hearts of all colours and creeds and ways of being.

Thankful for the connections that let me know the kindred in human beings who are different from me.

I am thankful for the fact that in Canada, we’re a cultural mosaic rather than a melting pot.


(My grandsons celebrating!)

If you are Canadian, Happy Canada Day! I hope you are celebrating with those you love.  To my American friends, Happy Independence Day on July 4th. May you have a joyous holiday.  

May we all be thankful, in every country, for the sense of belonging given in the ritual of celebration.

 

7 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 29, 2013

    This is wonderful Nana Jo =) Happy Holidays to you and your family. I am in Sweden but I am from the US. I am so happy for you, you'd think I was going lol The food yum! How hungry I am now and what a wonderful sense of community you embodied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. smiles. sounds like fun times with your friends...i want some of that food...smiles...love your thankfulness...i love diversity as well...there are pockets of it where i live but you have to look for it a bit...the grief is a bit sobering but real...and the community cares project...that is awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agh--reading about all that food made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All power to the 'Communities that Care' project, Jo. And Happy Canada Day to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Happy Canada Day! I hope you're staying cool:) And I love the joyous details you shared, from the food preparations to the wonderful illustration from the 'Communities' project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Canada Day to you! And thank you for the 4th of July wishes. I wish I could come to the lake with you and help you eat all that food, it sounds wonderful. The lake looks so peaceful and the water as smooth as glass. My hubby comes from Canada but the Toronto area. I love the B.C. area up there.

    Thanks for sharing this with us for Theme Thursday. Have a fantastic week.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well today is canada day, so i hope it was spectacular for you...smiles...

    ReplyDelete