Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Magpie Tales: Snow Dreams in Red


Snow Dreams in Red

A dreaming ashen stillness falls upon
The frozen breathless path, the sapless woods,
The winter of my brother’s death. An etude
Full of young men’s voices calling, his wan,
A hush above the rest. Fleshy heart gone.
The snow so bright, I weep. Weary to rest
My own scarlet vesture beneath my breast.
Strewn with arrows memory hastens on
To pierce far beyond the hard icy rim.
His bright Robin hair shines into the grey
Of sombre wind-rent flakes, that gather grim
Around the dying portals of the day.
The snow so red, I bleed. His tawny lore
Dressed in white, his voice sings evermore.

(This sonnet is dedicated to the memory of my beloved red-headed brother, Jason, 1975 - 2003.)

8 comments:

  1. A very touching tribute, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful tribute. I am the eldest of 6 and lost my brother five years ago. I have 3 sisters and two brothers now only one brother left. It was so painful and hard. My prayers are with you my friend. 1958 - 2005

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strewn with arrows memory hastens on
    To pierce far beyond the hard icy rim.

    A heartfelt Magpie strewn with many hidden arrows...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely, heart-felt tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I have to agree with everyone else - a wonderful written tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful words written with such depth and awesome thoughts.

    zeroing into the arrow

    ReplyDelete